Academic Reading & Writing (Gr6-7)
Little Mountain’s Academic Reading & Writing program, Dove, is intended for students in grades 6-7. This program has been designed for students who demonstrate proficiency in English communication and literacy skills. Meeting for two hour lessons twice a week, students in the Dove stream will participate in engaging activities that will develop the major areas of English communication: reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
This program will give students the opportunity to boost their critical thinking, awareness of global issues, and knowledge and application of key English skills. In the reading component of the Dove stream, students will alternate between literary analysis of renowned fiction pieces across a variety of genres, and non-fiction texts to develop an awareness of social and scientific affairs. In the writing and presentation component, students will develop their academic writing skills by crafting paragraphs and essays in a variety of genres. Together, these branches of learning enable students to gain a well-rounded Language Arts education.
Through project-based learning, Dove students will apply their knowledge and interests to identify and consider problems and present interesting solutions. By the end of this program, students will become independent critical thinkers with a strong awareness of social justice and world issues.
Dove Level 1
- • Writing: craft well-written paragraphs for specific purposes; introduction to essay writing.
- • Reading: explore a large vocabulary from a wide range of topics; enhance reading comprehension and fluency through thematic texts.
- • Speaking: prepare and present on relevant topics; participate in formal and informal debate.
- • Further Skills: logical organization of personal schedules and academic resources; time and workload management.
Dove Level 2
- • Writing: development in various essay and creative writing formats; practice self-editing skills.
- • Reading: enrich knowledge of history and science; make relevant personal and universal connections; independently identify themes in texts.
- • Speaking: improve confidence and fluency through presentation and debate.
- • Further Skills: perform guided research; develop an awareness of various levels of citizenship.